Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
27 (56.3%)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
41 (85.4%)
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
29 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author
The Epic Star Wars Saga: The Poll (Read 11,094 times)

Keg

Keg

hmmm i think i know what youre talking about but ill have to rewatch that scene to be sure. is it when they retreat it looks like they suddenly shift rapidly away from them?

Sharp Sticks

Yeah, it's force speed. It a reference to some of the latter 90's video games and such, but I always hated that power. Jedi aren't supposed to be superheroes.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 18, 2011, 09:32:58 PM
Yeah, it's force speed. It a reference to some of the latter 90's video games and such, but I always hated that power. Jedi aren't supposed to be superheroes.

Yeah...I just picked up on it recently. When I was younger, I used to think that the Destroyers were retreating and couldn't turn off their guns. I'm not a fan of that power at all.

Hubbs

Hubbs

:) I have a Clone pilot as my avatar because he does look cool let's be honest :)
Stormtroopers/Clone troopers have always been a fav of mine in all their variations BUT I do think they went overboard and made too many variations. Why? Because you would think that with all those different kinds of troopers around the Empire would have kept some variations or their various colour rankings or individual armour designs etc... But we see none of it in the classic trilogy (afew basic variations kept). I just think Lucas and co just got a tiny bit carried away or excited with lots of cool looks on offer and couldn't help themselves haha easily done.

Check this ;) Victorian Star Wars, can't believe this guy made these cool figures!
http://www.sillof.com/C-CUSTOMS-Main.htm

m41guy

m41guy

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 18, 2011, 08:16:45 PM
OK I can understand what your saying here, I grew up with the classic trilogy (along with other classics like Ghostbusters, Goonies, BTTF, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters etc....) they are very close to me and hold many memories ( I saw ROTJ at the cinema on it's original run  ;D )

On the other hand I saw the prequels and mainly TPM when I was 21/22, AOTC when I was 24 and ROTS when I was 27 so overall my opinion and outlook for the films was much harder and critical than most of you guys will have thought...Seeing as many of you were very young.
Someone who has grown up with the classic trilogy I believe will think the same where as someone growing up with new prequels will think differently mainly because they will be more used to or happy with cgi, thats the big factor here I think.

This. 

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 18, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
Yeah, probably true. I feel the same way about a lot of movies.

Also, in TPM, at the beginning with the Droidekas, do Obi Wan and Qui Gon really use force speed or something. Because I just picked up on that recently, and it look kind of...off  :-\

Next to the end battle, that is my favorite part of the movie, when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fight through to the control room.  Sent shivers down my spine seeing "jedi in their prime" for the first time. 
Anyways, I think the effect was done poorly and makes them look like they are moving faster then they should be.  Jedi are supposed to have better, stronger, faster abilities so I don't mind seeing that.  I just think that particular effect was overdone.

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 12:50:50 AM
:) I have a Clone pilot as my avatar because he does look cool let's be honest :)
Stormtroopers/Clone troopers have always been a fav of mine in all their variations BUT I do think they went overboard and made too many variations. Why? Because you would think that with all those different kinds of troopers around the Empire would have kept some variations or their various colour rankings or individual armour designs etc... But we see none of it in the classic trilogy (afew basic variations kept). I just think Lucas and co just got a tiny bit carried away or excited with lots of cool looks on offer and couldn't help themselves haha easily done.

That stuff was all intentional. If you watch all six films in order you'll notice a gradual draining of colour and style as the galaxy grows more corrupt and utilitarian under Palpatine's thumb. The Republic goes from the height of Space Nouveau decadence to Close Encounters of the Fourth Reich in the course of four films. This obviously applied to the Stormtroopers as well, and by the time of A New Hope the most variation you'll see in a soldier is an orange shoulder pauldron and maybe some weathering.

Space Sweeper

Only two real problems I have with Attack of the Clones is:

-The stupid f**king romance segments (save for entering the arena)
-The ridiculous looking fight between Yoda and Count Dooku (save for Yoda using to force to hold back the debris)

I thought Ewan McGreggor was fantastic as Obi Wan the whole way through, and I found his rivalry with Jango Fett to be very fun to watch. I found aside from finding his mom, Anakin was left in the shit for this one.

Helluva lot of fun to watch for me, it's still one of my favorite parts of watching the saga.

Hubbs

Hubbs

^ allot of Tron sigs n avatars in this forum these days hehe ;)

Sticks: I see what your saying but there is still quite allot of armour variation on the troopers in ROTS, I also don't understand why the Empire would want to cut back on the variations and colour rankings, what's wrong with it?

OK gonna moan at AOTC quickly, I thought it atad corny that Anakins mother just happens to die in his arms conveniently at the precise time he pops in to rescue her, more realistic and hard hitting to have found her dead.

Guys, have you seen this?? If you like SW you need to see:)
http://www.sillof.com/C-CUSTOMS-Main.htm

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 01:46:50 AM
OK gonna moan at AOTC quickly, I thought it atad corny that Anakins mother just happens to die in his arms conveniently at the precise time he pops in to rescue her, more realistic and hard hitting to have found her dead.

I always thought it was because she held on until she saw Anakin again. I think she even hints at that in her final words.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jan 19, 2011, 01:51:28 AM

I always thought it was because she held on until she saw Anakin again. I think she even hints at that in her final words.

That's what I got from it too. She saw her son, felt that her life was complete, and finally lost the will to live.

Tangakkai

Well Primarily I chose TESB simply for what it is, the milestone in the legacy and the first real continuation.

Phantom Menace for making me a fan through and through. I found star wars cool until 1999 (was about 10 years old) but when the Phantom Menace came out my breath was simply taken away.
Apart from the nostalgia, I still think that Episode one had the best choreographed sword fight in it (duell of the fates) since there was an actual martial artist in the role of Darth Maul. Besides there's no denying that lightsaber-battles are fundamental in the SW universe and a valid criteria.

Last but not least "revenge", because it's emotionally the most involving film in the saga and happens to show us what we all wanted to see/why the prequels where made-> Anakin's turn to the dark side.

Now I am well aware of the fact that the prequels lack many things that the original films had, especially the acting performance. Yet I've learned to accept them with their flaws and also with their greatness, therefore making 2 of those worthy of "My top 3".

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 19, 2011, 01:21:18 AM
Only two real problems I have with Attack of the Clones is:

-The stupid f**king romance segments (save for entering the arena)
-The ridiculous looking fight between Yoda and Count Dooku (save for Yoda using to force to hold back the debris)

I thought Ewan McGreggor was fantastic as Obi Wan the whole way through, and I found his rivalry with Jango Fett to be very fun to watch. I found aside from finding his mom, Anakin was left in the shit for this one.

Helluva lot of fun to watch for me, it's still one of my favorite parts of watching the saga.

I really enjoy Attack of the Clones, weaknesses and all. Seeing a different interpretation of the Fett-man is always a treat, though my favourite scene was on the factory floor - it's all about sex. So many Freudian horrors.

Sticks: I see what your saying but there is still quite allot of armour variation on the troopers in ROTS, I also don't understand why the Empire would want to cut back on the variations and colour rankings, what's wrong with it?

Look at any successful dictatorship, anywhere in history - individuality and personality weren't valued traits. The Nazis weren't trying to distinguish themselves as indivuals, and neither were members of the Roman legion, nor Napolean's forces, nor the Imperials. Not only is the lack of colour historically logical, it's part of the metaphor.

Star Wars has never been about realism; it's about monomyth. She'd die in his arms in any Greek tragedy or Biblical fable as well.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Of course you all realise the turning of Anakin to the dark side could of been explained in just one film or less haha ;)
If you watch the 'redlettermedia' reviews it's explained very well how and the fact that SW shouldn't simply revolve around Vader/Anakin as the classic trilogy didn't yet the prequels do too much. SW isn't soley about Vader/Anakin, that's what makes the classic trilogy so good because there are many stories and characters which are woven so well, it's not all about one person.

As for Anakins mum dying when he shows up I still find that silly, the fact she 'hangs on' for him doesn't work...for me anyway, as a certain someone would say....it's illogical.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I voted for ROTS, that one have so many great moments. Ewan McGregor is perfect as Obi-Wan. Not too young like in the other prequels, and not too old like in the original movie. He's perfectly balanced. The fight between him and Anakin was amazing, still think I like the one between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul in Episode I better though.

Tangakkai

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 19, 2011, 02:32:39 AM
Of course you all realise the turning of Anakin to the dark side could of been explained in just one film or less haha ;)
If you watch the 'redlettermedia' reviews it's explained very well how and the fact that SW shouldn't simply revolve around Vader/Anakin as the classic trilogy didn't yet the prequels do too much. SW isn't soley about Vader/Anakin, that's what makes the classic trilogy so good because there are many stories and characters which are woven so well, it's not all about one person.

As for Anakins mum dying when he shows up I still find that silly, the fact she 'hangs on' for him doesn't work...for me anyway, as a certain someone would say....it's illogical.

I agree partly, but throughout the original trilogy Vader took a rather important role. Him being the most ambiguous figure makes it enough interesting to attach the greatest importance of the prequels to Anakin's turn.

However I do also think that there are so many individual great stories being told in every single film and that's what makes them so great.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed