Somethign im a little mad about.

Started by Anonymous684, Aug 25, 2007, 12:49:08 AM

Author
Somethign im a little mad about. (Read 6,679 times)

SiL

SiL

I think this film is going to be enjoyable. I'm going to sit my ass down in the cinema, look at the screen, and be solidly occupied for 100 or whatever minutes. That's the impression I get from the trailer and info.

But I'm not going to be thinking 'Holy crap this is an awesome Alien or Predator' movie, or think that, objectively, it's a good movie. Again, that's just how it looks from here - I may be totally wrong. At least I'm going in expecting to be entertained.

gameoverman

Quote from: SiL on Aug 25, 2007, 07:19:13 AMBut I'm not going to be thinking 'Holy crap this is an awesome Alien or Predator' movie, or think that, objectively, it's a good movie.

I think it'll be an awesome Predator movie, that's for sure.  And a good Aliens-style action/horror.

Of course it will not compare to the original Alien or even Alien 3. 

I'll probably rate this 5th in the Alien/Predator movies - behind Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Predator..

SiL

SiL

The CGI gore really stops it having any impact. It's far too obviously fake. When Mac's head exploded, you felt it. When the two guys' got shot at the same time, it was almost comical.

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Quote from: SiL on Aug 25, 2007, 07:28:41 AM
The CGI gore really stops it having any impact. It's far too obviously fake. When Mac's head exploded, you felt it. When the two guys' got shot at the same time, it was almost comical.

True.

gameoverman

Welcome to the 21st century, SiL.  :P

Uncanny Antman

The CGI gore really stops it having any impact. It's far too obviously fake. When Mac's head exploded, you felt it.

You mean that odd brown melon that explodes?  ;)

I think it's less the CG (although that is part of it) and more the style of shots that CG allows them to do that makes it feel "less real"

I mean, there's a lot of less than convincing shots in all the Alien and Predator films, but they generally work because you have some tactile sense of the work that went into them.  With CG, although it's still a lot of work for the artists involved, there's less...I dunno, depth to it.   

Agreed on the two-dudes-at-once shot.  Looks like it's out of Scary Movie or the like.  But then, the chickadee getting pinned to the wall works for me like gangbusters.  That's why I say it's not the CG, it's the design of the shot.

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Quote from: gameoverman on Aug 25, 2007, 07:34:25 AM

Welcome to the 21st century, SiL.  :P

Good point...but Mac's death LOOKS better, too...The key is combinations.

That said, I still think the double hs looks AWESOME.

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Aug 25, 2007, 07:35:33 AM
The CGI gore really stops it having any impact. It's far too obviously fake. When Mac's head exploded, you felt it.

You mean that odd brown melon that explodes?  ;)

I think it's less the CG (although that is part of it) and more the style of shots that CG allows them to do that makes it feel "less real"

I mean, there's a lot of less than convincing shots in all the Alien and Predator films, but they generally work because you have some tactile sense of the work that went into them.  With CG, although it's still a lot of work for the artists involved, there's less...I dunno, depth to it.   

Agreed on the two-dudes-at-once shot.  Looks like it's out of Scary Movie or the like.  But then, the chickadee getting pinned to the wall works for me like gangbusters.  That's why I say it's not the CG, it's the design of the shot.

Right on.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Aug 25, 2007, 07:35:33 AM
Is the girl getting pinned CGI? Looks more like a collection of composites, stunt work and a dummy to me. But the obviously CGI stuff - Which is about 80% of what's in the trailer - has nowhere near the impact. I don't think that's helped any with the burning face, where the guy couldn't emote severe pain if his life depended on it.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SiL on Aug 25, 2007, 07:56:22 AM
Is the girl getting pinned CGI?

My guess? 

Actress running.  Then stunt double with CG glaive.  Then stunt double with CG glaive and CG blood.  Then actress with prop glaive and stage blood.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Aug 25, 2007, 07:58:41 AM
Actress running.  Then stunt double with CG glaive.  Then stunt double with CG glaive and CG blood.  Then actress with prop glaive and stage blood.
That's what I thought. It's too quick for the shuriken to look fake.

I've never seen effective CGI blood to date, and this doesn't look to change that. I don't think you can really ever beat the cold hard physicality of seeing a hydraulic tongue jack-hammer into a model head.

Highland

Highland

Antman, i can safley say, your one of the only ones that seems to be talking sense right now, which seems to come at a premium on this forum!

dDave

dDave

The only thing Im mad about is, when Reiko's character isstanding on the MG and fires in the night with a big scream of herself.....
i hope she wont be a hero or so...its better she dies after that szene...srry^^

Uncanny Antman

Y evry1 hatin on heroze?

Huol

Huol

Quote from: dDave on Aug 25, 2007, 12:21:57 PM
The only thing Im mad about is, when Reiko's character isstanding on the MG and fires in the night with a big scream of herself.....
i hope she wont be a hero or so...its better she dies after that szene...srry^^
Ok, listen dude.
As much as you don't like it.
Movies need human characters.
You can't just have a movie with two monsters beating the crap out of each other, with no dialogue or characters you feel for.  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed