Prometheus - Life & Death

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2016, 08:28:01 AM

Author
Prometheus - Life & Death (Read 33,780 times)

Nostromo

Nostromo

Ok I see :). I just finished #1, it's pretty decent. I don't really have an issue with the art in either issue 1 or 2. Love the colors. It could be because of a recent run I just had reading all the 90's Aliens stuff again.

I find the art and especially coloring these days is vastly superior compared to than. The feel of the pages has gotten better and so have the stories but there is room for improvement there.

They mention in the end of Prometheus #1 why different artists appear for different series, it's so they meet up with production times.

Anyhow, compared to those crossovers and certain 90's comics, I'm happy with the recent stories, especially both Prometheus series and Aliens: Defiance.

There's room though to create some series or one shots like Fast track to Heaven that are strictly horror based. Most stories I find always include Marines and guns. Wouldn't mind seeing some survival horror type of stories from Dark Horse.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Whatever works for ya. I personally prefer the 90s era more than now but that's me.

Prez

Prez

Still don't think anyone has matched Denis B's use of colour and linework (from Book 2/Nightmare Asylum) though Tristan's keyline style does come very, very close.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Nightmare Asylum has serious kickass art/colors, a superior species no doubt  ;D, especially for late 80's/early 90's!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah well I like them all, new and old. Even the crappy ones I get some enjoyment from.

But yeah not liking the art much in Prometheus l&d but I'm enjoiying the story especially now that we are back with the survivors of F&S.

Hope aliens l&d has better art.

Kurai

Kurai

I feel as though the writing is incredibly lazy, especially regarding references to the Engineers. Not because the writing is bad, but that it's filled with so many logic errors that it's really quite off putting.

The immediate reference to the Engineers as Gods, Singer's quote "Something big... Like a God!" Was especially cringe-worthy in part 1 as well as Melville's "Answers to who we are" in regards to the Engineer ship in issue two. We've watched Prometheus, these guys haven't, they know nothing of the Engineers. In the second issue they try to cover up this slip with them apparently have read pictograms of the Enginners seeding countless worlds. If that had actually happened before they'd called it a god upon it first waking up it may have made a bit more sense.

My second niggle that also translates from Fire and Stone is the calling of the Aliens Xenomorphs. The Predator, the Aliens, the Engineers, the Black Goo Creatures are ALL Xenomorphs. >_<

After all of that, I must admit I'm still enjoying the series, I just wish the writers wouldn't constantly include what they know into characters who shouldn't have any knowledge of these terms.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 01, 2016, 02:58:48 PM
I feel as though the writing is incredibly lazy, especially regarding references to the Engineers. Not because the writing is bad, but that it's filled with so many logic errors that it's really quite off putting.

The immediate reference to the Engineers as Gods, Singer's quote "Something big... Like a God!" Was especially cringe-worthy in part 1 as well as Melville's "Answers to who we are" in regards to the Engineer ship in issue two. We've watched Prometheus, these guys haven't, they know nothing of the Engineers.

I wish Fox or Dark Horse would have a serious editor in place just going through stuff like this before it's printed, because honestly it's these little dumb illogical errors and continuity mistakes that makes them look bad at Dark Horse. And yes I found the writing lazy at times, not sure why this guy didn't put a bit more time in his writing, it feels rushed. Other times it's well written though.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Took another look at the preview, and I wonder
Spoiler
if they'll address what the "Ewok camp" is made from. It looks like salvaged parts from the Perses, or maybe the Onager.
[close]

Nostromo

Nostromo

Spoiler
"Ewok camp"
[close]
;D ;D ;D

SM

SM

Spoiler
Perses was pretty much slagged and Onager is stuck inside a mountain.  Helios was more or less intact.
[close]

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I had forgotten about that one!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

https://bigcomicpage.com/2016/08/09/review-prometheus-life-and-death-3-dark-horse-comics/

Review of the 3rd issue from Big Comic Page. They aren't too chuffed with issue 3.

Nostromo

Nostromo

I just read issue 3.  ;D Than I read the review.

The review makes some good points but overall I found this issue to be a bit better than the last one. Art is great as usual...

Spoiler
It had a bit more dialogue

There will definitely be an epic duel between the engineers and humans with Ahab in the final issue

More exploration should have been done in the tombs and stuff...really tired of Jungle and camp settlement settings, just doesn't feel like an Aliens world setting..

At least Galgo isn't fighting with anyone and everyone anymore and is actually doing a fine job spying on the engineers, but damn, he's always spreading panick lol.

Not really liking these Alien types

Nice read though.
[close]

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Just read issue #3, quick thoughts:
Spoiler
I liked it, even I it was a bit heavy on the exposition and didn't do a whole lot to advance things. Abnett does a good job of explaining how Angela and company got there, without walking into the pitfall of spending too much time recapping Fire and Stone.

I liked the money xeno queen, and the art overall is pretty nice. Ahab does look a bit off in some places, though. I look forward to seeing the physical copy, rather than just reading it on my phone.

Next issue promises to be a great fight! I'm really excited for how Abnett handles things once the xenos become the main antagonists. Fingers crossed for host farming.
[close]

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Haven't read it yet. Undecided if I'm going to continue with the series or not. Might just wait for the TPB to read it all in one go.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed