Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time.

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PM

Author
Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time. (Read 54,873 times)

SM

More like sloppy repairs.

"ooh we fixed 12 module"

Lazy bastards.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: SiL on May 27, 2024, 11:13:15 PMI thought it was Parker or Brett saying it.

I'm fairly certain it's Ridley Scott's voice. Next time you watch Alien, let me know what you think.

Quote from: SM on May 27, 2024, 11:23:14 PMMore like sloppy repairs.

"ooh we fixed 12 module"

Lazy bastards.

:laugh:

SM

I'd never heard the steady before, but having a listen it does sound like Ridley.

xeno_alpha_07

I've noticed something else in the egg chamber: the egg with the upward-dripping fluid. On the DVD and Blu-ray releases, you can see what seems to be some sort of stand just behind the egg. However, on the 35mm prints, where the cropping isn't as severe, you can see it in more detail. I snapped a picture with my phone, so it's not the best quality.

SiL

Yeah that's definitely a c-stand knuckle.

BigChapismyBestFriend

I just saw in Alien there was a picture of Jones while he was a kitten, (it in the very right) As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

Neila

Quote from: SM on May 27, 2024, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: Neila on May 27, 2024, 03:32:47 PMI don't know if this also counts here:

There's this scene in Alien when Parker and Lambert are surprised by the alien.
There is a spotlight on the wall and a shadow is moving pretty quickly in it.
For years I thought it was Parker scurrying around organizing the coolant.
But it's the alien that scurries more or less like a normal person and then crouches down.

(Then comes the scene in which Lambert notices the alien and it then slowly rears up in front of her.)

As I said, I always thought it was Parker, but if you look closer you can clearly see the elongated front head shape.
With that in mind, it's absolutely strange.
If this scene is intentional, it's downright mood-killing.
I think it's a mistake in the editing.

it looks like:
"Bolaji, it's your turn, you have to get to your position quickly.
Go ahead, the camera is already rolling!"

Am I wrong or how do you see it???

In Alien 4, in the underwater scene, you can clearly see a pair of diving goggles among all the trash in the water.
I didn't notice this until long after the film was available on video.

I'm puzzled why anyone would think this was a mistake?  There's an aircraft landing light pointing at Roni Cartright for the express purpose of getting the Alien shadow in frame. It's supposed to be crawling out of a vent.

absolutely not.
The alien moves here like a hectic person and is completely out of character.

Look at it again and check.
I can imagine that this was simply left in the film due to time constraints.
Just like the guy who fans the fog into the hallway as Ripley escapes to the shuttle.

SiL

SiL

No, it's intentional. There was more than enough footage of that scene to cut around it and the scene was worked on quite extensively.

"I don't like it so it must be a mistake" is not a good argument.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: SiL on May 28, 2024, 07:16:49 AMNo, it's intentional. There was more than enough footage of that scene to cut around it and the scene was worked on quite extensively.

"I don't like it so it must be a mistake" is not a good argument.

I never said I didn't like it so it must be a mistake.

I don't like it because the movement doesn't fit the alien. I was of the opinion that it could have been a mistake or rather an emergency solution in the editing. That's a difference and a good argument to doubt the quality of this scene.
There are a number of scenes in the film world that were created due to emergency solutions, time constraints or budget problems but are still really good.

do you think the scene in question is really appropriate?
The alien comes hopping up like a normal person, crouches down and then slowly and gracefully rises up in front of Lambert? ...come on.

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate if the alien's shadow had slowly moved into the beam of light?

SiL

The movement is vague and many people don't realise what they're looking at until repeated viewings. Films in 1979 weren't intended to be scrutinised frame by frame by people decades later.

Neila

Quote from: SiL on May 28, 2024, 08:28:21 AMThe movement is vague and many people don't realise what they're looking at until repeated viewings. Films in 1979 weren't intended to be scrutinised frame by frame by people decades later.

that's right,... but:

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PMRight the name says it all, post stuff you have only just noticed while watching any of the movies in the franchise. It could be something you didn't notice the first time years ago or even something you only noticed recently, like I did to my shame since I have watched Aliens so many times it should be pouring out of my ears.

SiL

Yes, but you're arguing it must have been a mistake or an emergency because it's so clearly the Alien walking over to sit down - but you only just realised, meaning it wasn't that obvious.

The film was edited for those first reactions. It's not a mistake or a compromise, it's filmmaking.

Neila

Quote from: SiL on May 28, 2024, 08:47:26 AMYes, but you're arguing it must have been a mistake or an emergency because it's so clearly the Alien walking over to sit down - but you only just realised, meaning it wasn't that obvious.

The film was edited for those first reactions. It's not a mistake or a compromise, it's filmmaking.
yes, you are absolutely right, thank you.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on May 27, 2024, 11:53:39 PMI've noticed something else in the egg chamber: the egg with the upward-dripping fluid. On the DVD and Blu-ray releases, you can see what seems to be some sort of stand just behind the egg. However, on the 35mm prints, where the cropping isn't as severe, you can see it in more detail. I snapped a picture with my phone, so it's not the best quality.

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on May 28, 2024, 06:07:32 AMI just saw in Alien there was a picture of Jones while he was a kitten, (it in the very right) As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

Ma gad I love this thread.

PAS Spinelli

Xenomorph was never meant to be the species name, it's just a generic term for the literal meaning of the word

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed