Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 178,994 times)

PortugueseXeno

Fede has been teasing Alien: Romulus quite a bit lately.

My heart tells me that there is a teaser coming, but my mind...

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 24, 2023, 11:41:22 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 22, 2023, 02:57:02 AMJust revisited Evil Dead (2013).

I believe in you, Fede.

But I have never seen Evil Dead.  Any version.

You're out in force today with the trolling LT 🤣

Immortan Jonesy

Just today?

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 24, 2023, 11:41:22 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 22, 2023, 02:57:02 AMJust revisited Evil Dead (2013).

I believe in you, Fede.

But I have never seen Evil Dead.  Any version.

Well... I've got you covered fam. 😁

(These are from the first box of analogue releases I have of the movie (pre-cert/betamax/vhs/ex-rentals/laserdiscs) - got another box of analogue (sell-thru vhs) and then a couple of boxes of DVDs/blu-rays/steelbooks and 4kUHDs 🤣 like Alien, You can never have too many copies of 'The Evil Dead'!

Also, I started putting together a little colour-grading reference for each release, in case you have preference for such things 😁

Immortan Jonesy

8) stunning!!!!

zak098

zak098

Hello, do any of you own a JVC D-ILA RS2100/3100/4100 projector?

Do you have the Alien and Predator collection on Blu-ray? Could anyone confirm the very poor image quality of Alien Resurection on Blu-ray, and actually no differences in the image of Alien 1979 in 4K UHD versus Blu-ray?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 25, 2023, 06:28:35 PMactually no differences in the image of Alien 1979 in 4K UHD versus Blu-ray?

Can't speak to that specific projector, but there's a massive difference between the Blu-ray and UHD Alien discs.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 25, 2023, 06:28:35 PMHello, do any of you own a JVC D-ILA RS2100/3100/4100 projector?

Do you have the Alien and Predator collection on Blu-ray? Could anyone confirm the very poor image quality of Alien Resurection on Blu-ray, and actually no differences in the image of Alien 1979 in 4K UHD versus Blu-ray?

As Nightmare Asylum said; there's quite  a difference between the blu-ray and the 4k UHD - you can compare screenshots here; https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13061&d2=5205&s1=130862&s2=48559&i=13&l=0

It's worth noting that neither are theatrically accurate (if that is what you are seeking) not just to the original theatrical cut, but even to the Directors Cut - a lot of blue was introduced to the blu-ray release (I saw the Directors Cut in cinema on release day and it still had quite muted/grey exterior shots of the Nostromo) - Also worth noting that the Dtheatre /DVHS release of Alien directors cut had less blue tones than the blu-ray (noticeable during the Space Jockey scene)

As for Alien Resurrection; there's nothing wrong with the blu-ray quality (I actually love that it retains its film look and isn't ultra-processed) - it has however lost much of the bold yellow tones associated with the early VHS and Laserdisc releases and seems to be going for the 'silver-retention' look of a 35mm (this is not without problems however, pink hues now dominate whites, noticeable during the strobe effect when Call is attacked by the Newborn on the Betty)

zak098

zak098

Thanks, the thing is that I have a very, very demanding projector in terms of the source material, so maybe the UHD BD version was treated equally harshly compared to the BD version, in the sense that I can see the differences, but they are not a huge quality difference, and again I have never seen them. I would buy 4K Blu-ray editions, regular 2K is really good.
Does anyone have the Oppo UDP 203 player? I'm lying a bit, but I also have a PS5 and the colors are exactly the same. Moreover, I can change the color temperature in the projector in the range from 5500K to 9300K. The higher the value, the more blue it adds.

And in the cinema, when you saw the director's cut of Nostromo at the premiere, what color were the shades?

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/JohnnyDPresents/status/1726114267613810972

Wonder what Cameron story Álvarez had to tell...

Immortan Jonesy

[cancerblack]

Interesting font, have we seen it before?

Nightmare Asylum

Brand new, as far as I'm aware.

[cancerblack]

It definitely has a retro vibe to it imo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed