Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 770,678 times)

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

If that is real I wonder when it takes place in the time line...a "horror" themed Halo about the Flood would be kinda cool.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

A Flood themed Halo horror game could be really intense. They were bad enough as the Chief in Halo.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Honestly I'm trying to go open-minded as much as I can. Halo 5 kicked me out of the mood and I've been like that ever since.  :(

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Randomizer on Jun 11, 2017, 08:56:51 PM
Honestly I'm trying to go open-minded as much as I can. Halo 5 kicked me out of the mood and I've been like that ever since.  :(

Halo 6 will probably not be much different from 5 in regards of gameplay.

They might just improve some of the storyline stuff that was criticized.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Love Halo Wars

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, I quite liked Halo 5's story. I like it when good guys turn bad.

Was a bit disappointed that we didn't see anything at E3. I'm not really into this 4K stuff so the Halo Wars 2 update wasn't of particular interest for me.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 12, 2017, 09:36:33 AM
Honestly, I quite liked Halo 5's story. I like it when good guys turn bad.

Was a bit disappointed that we didn't see anything at E3. I'm not really into this 4K stuff so the Halo Wars 2 update wasn't of particular interest for me.

I wasn't a fan of Halo 5 because the EXTREME LACK of Chief and Blue Team. As a reader of the books I was super excited for Blue Team, I was let down by the fact we only saw them a handful of times. I would have preferred Lockes team being the ones we played as sparingly, and if the missions were a lot more "off the grid" and ONI-Black opsy (if that makes sense)The ending with Cortana I feel was a little out of character, but it wasn't awful.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 12, 2017, 02:56:26 PM
I wasn't a fan of Halo 5 because the EXTREME LACK of Chief and Blue Team. As a reader of the books I was super excited for Blue Team, I was let down by the fact we only saw them a handful of times. I would have preferred Lockes team being the ones we played as sparingly, and if the missions were a lot more "off the grid" and ONI-Black opsy (if that makes sense)The ending with Cortana I feel was a little out of character, but it wasn't awful.

I can understand that. It was definitely more about Osiris than Blue which is disappointing but I found myself wrapped up in the over all experience and story enough to really mind.

Looks like this is the Halo announcement for E3.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Since it has been years since really playing video games at all, I've decided to jump back into Halo again over the last couple weeks. Don't know why but all of a sudden I got the itch to completely reimmerse myself in this world. At first I was just planning on doing the original trilogy, then the entire catalog of Bungie games, and then finally said screw it, I'm gonna play all of them. I still don't have an XBox One, so I've yet to even try Halo 5: Guardians or Halo Wars 2. Or even Halo 2 Anniversary for that matter.

I've already made my way through Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach. I opted to go release order instead of chronological for the Bungie games (and the original XBox version of CE rather than the Anniversary edition). The original Halo trilogy is so special and important to me in so many ways, and remains probably the most powerful and innovative gaming experience to me. I just get so caught up in all of it. I played a tiny bit of Halo 2 with friends at their houses before I got an XBox 360 of my own in 2007, but really it was Halo 3 that hooked me and brought me into this universe. Upon beating that game and finding myself hooked I went back and got the first two and then bought everything from Halo Wars to Halo 4 on release day. Halo 3: ODST, despite being a side story, may just be my favorite game of the lot. The atmosphere, the music, the look of the New Mombasa cityscape at night... the whole thing is beautiful. I know it is an unpopular opinion now, but I also love Halo: Reach and find that it brings Bungie's entire narrative full circle in a beautiful way.

Next up, as a way to bridge the Bungie games with the 343i games, I started Halo Wars this morning. Played through the first three missions so far, so basically the chunk of the game where you're retaking Harvest and finding the Forerunner installation. It has always impressed me just how much this game looks, feels, and even plays like Halo despite being an RTS. From what I recall the game moves really quick and it is a bit odd having the Flood pop up so early in the timeline, but the game explains the retcons well enough and for a spinoff game in another genre looking to sample all of the highlights of the main series, it does a ton right and I seriously enjoy it.

After this I'm going to be moving onto Halo 4, which is really the one game I don't have vivid memories of. Whereas I've played all of the other games time and time again, I only got around to playing Halo 4 twice and the only things I really remember are the Didact's first appearance and Cortana's "death." I remember the game really working for me on an emotional level at the time and finding myself totally immersed, but lately I've been hearing a lot of complaints about 343i's take on Halo and have found myself kind of nodding my head along to them, at least in theory, so it'll be interesting to see how this one holds up for me when I get to it. The post-war era fascinates me immensely, and while I remember it rubbing me the wrong way seeing the splinter Covenant faction in Halo 4 revert to generic movie bad guys (or so I remember) the potential is always there to really dig into all of the various sub groups and factions and really start to get into what makes each of them tick now that the unified Covenant is no more.

After Halo 4, I'm supposed to be playing Halo 5: Guardians at a friend's house in a couple weeks to finally give that one a go, so I'm really excited about that despite a lot of the negativity I've heard. Hopefully after that he lets me jump into Halo Wars 2 and its various expansions (there's currently one campaign expansion right, with another to come soon?) so I can get all caught up on the current state of the Halo universe in the games and be ready for whatever comes next.

I have to say, it has been an excellent ride so far going through all of this again after stepping away for so long a time.

Samhain13

Samhain13

^ I did a playthrough of the Halo series some months ago, my cousin got a xbox one so I decided to replay all the games I had on the xbox360 and the new ones to evaluate and compare them to each other. I went through the same order that you are going, only that I didn't play the non-first person shooter games and I played Halo 2 anniversary, which was also my first time playing Halo 2 since I didn't had the original xbox. And thought it was the best game in the series overall.

I went to Halo 5 with low expectations since I had already read about it... and it was as I imagined, the campaign is my least favorite, I was able to enjoy it a little but I can see why so many fans that had played the series since the beggining hated it, it really feels different from the others.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Finished 4 this morning and actually... I like it a lot. It is different. Very, very different. And there are things that certainly rub me the wrong way, visually and narratively. But where it counts, in the emotional climax and everything that comes to head with Chief and Cortana, it excels. 343i may have dropped the ball with 5 (I'll be playing that with a friend in a couple weeks for the first time), but I'd be hard pressed to say that 4 isn't a promising start for the new studio, a few blips (some minor, some much more significant) aside. It isn't a game Bungie would have made and the story isn't crafted in the way Bungie would have crafted it. Bungie's games are always what will be near and dear to my heart and remain completely unique experiences among the sea of other science fiction worlds that I have immersed myself in.

In the aftermath of Bungie's elaborate tapestry, this exploration of a man that basically spent his entire life fighting a war for humanity despite never truly connecting with anyone on a pure, emotional, human level and realizing that, in his absence since the war's end, he has essentially being phased out and replaced by newer versions keeping the fight going on numerous smaller fronts... it works. Ironically in bringing the most mythic elements of Bungie's Halo to the forefront it ceases to be mythic itself, but in this scaled down, personal story of loss and finding identity in a world that has forgotten you it seriously delivers.

In some ways, a lot of ways, 343i's Halo comes across in a similar manner to me as Disney/Lucasfilm's Star Wars. It fits and exists in the world of the original Bungie/George Lucas sagas, but it strips away some of what made the original the so unique and adds on to a story that never asked for continuation. It takes a familiar world, reinterprets it, and explores some new themes in a story that hits familiar beats, delivers an incredible emotional resolution, and sets the stage for a new adventure to come.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

4 is definitely more enjoyable than 5. The worst thing's about 4 imo are the sudden redesigns of Chief and the UNSC forces. The covenant designs made a little bit of sense given the in game explanation.
The story for 4 wasn't as strong as the stories from 1-3, Reach or ODST, but it was miiiiiiles better than Halo 5's.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Played through the entirety of Halo 5: Guardians with a couple friends last night. I... I think I liked it? There were things that I absolutely adored, the gameplay, everything about Sanghelios and the Arbiter, the vast array of locations that all felt so incredibly and distinctly Halo. There were things that were just ok like the majority of the characters, which ranged from being cool characters without much of a distinct arc (Chief, Halsey, Buck, Locke) to complete non-entities, with the Arbiter's return probably being the biggest highlight for me, and Exuberant Witness being a really endearing new addition to the canon right off the bat. And then...the story. I just don't know. I really liked Halo 4, for the most part. Halo 5: Guardians doesn't have any of the focus that Halo 4 has, but I think I'm ok with that. In the same way, after the enclosed Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2 zipped around the galaxy as well. Where Halo 2 had narrative focus, however, I don't think that Guardians really ever did. I never felt as immersed in the game as I did with all of the previous outings (though playing co-op may very well have had an effect on that). Mostly though, I just can't decide if I am ok with the direction that the game decided to take Cortana. On one hand, I think the idea of an artificial intelligence uprising is a fascinating one (albeit not very original) and one that can very well give the sequel more focus than this game had, but at the same time, having Cortana responsible for the death of so many just rubs me the wrong way and retroactively tarnishes Halo Reach and the original trilogy to some extent. All of the sacrifices made for Cortana, and that Cortana made for us and for the effort against the Covenant, seem for naught. Noble Team died and Chief went to hell and back to protect and preserve Cortana and while she was key to winning the War, the fighting never really stopped and she ultimately brought forth Covenant-level destruction herself, with more surely to come. So I don't know... there were things I liked, there were things I didn't. I probably need to give it another playthrough solo to really immerse myself in it more than I did on this playthrough. I will say, whatever the hell comes next in the main narrative, it'll be really interesting to see how 343i follows up on this and where they move next. This is all way bigger that Jul and cannot be swept under the rug in the opening mission of Halo 6. I don't know if they're ever going to be able to make this development really sit well with me, but I'm curious to see how they handle everything moving forward, govenvthe fan backlash here.

After Halo 5: Guardians, I played the first four missions of Halo Wars 2. After pumping more hours into the first Halo Wars than I would probably care to ever find out, it was really cool to jump into a new game in this sub-series. For the most part, I am really loving this so far. It's great getting to catch up with the crew of the Spirit of Fire and have them now directly planted in the contemporary Reclaimer Saga portion of the Halo timeline (which I'm sure means that crossovers with the Master Chief and his crew are abound). Returning to the Ark is interesting, and while things have certainly changed (I'm sure the canon reason is that things are different because of the repairs being done since Halo 3, but really I'd imagine it's just because the design of an FPS wouldn't work for an RTS), the game aesthetically feels much closer to Bungie's Halo than either Halo 4 or Halo 5: Guardians have so far. Atriox and the Banished seem like really interesting villains so far and I look forward to continuing with the game, whenever my friends and I get back together for another Halo night.

So yeah, while I'm not sure how on board I am with the series' recent developments, I remain interested in seeing what they do with these pieces for the next installment. At the very least, it feels good finally being almost caught up with the Halo games again.

Cellien

Cellien

Halo 5 is really a great game, outside of the writing.  As far as gameplay mechanics and polish, it's all top notch.  I actually love the way it feels, but the whole marketing campaign about the Chief and Locke all mounted to... nothing.  Looked really pretty though.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/introducing-halo-recruit

QuoteI'll admit it, when VR first became a "thing," I was skeptical. The idea of putting on a headset seemed claustrophobic and the promise of truly inhabiting a virtual space felt far away... boy was I wrong. There are precious few opportunities as a creative team to get to explore a truly brand new medium - the mixed reality space is exactly that, and it's magical. Here at 343 Industries, we are just starting to dip our toes into the mixed reality space but we are hugely passionate about the potential to truly explore and play in our universe with this technology.

Today Alex Kipman announced in the Windows Mixed Reality blog a fun little arcade experience that we call "Halo Recruit." Let's be clear, this isn't a game or even a part of a game - it is a light introduction to the world of Halo and some of its most iconic characters... oh, and its weapons and maybe a Warthog. The point is, it was a chance for us to start to play with Microsoft's amazing new technology and for you to get to stand toe-to-toe with an Elite (yes, I may have whimpered a little my first time in).

Our 5-minute Halo experience will be available for fans to try in Microsoft Stores, and as a free download from the Windows Store, on Oct. 17 (you will of course, need to have a Windows MR headset to play). "Halo Recruit" was developed in partnership with our good friends, Endeavor One. Endeavor One is a small powerhouse studio with deep ties to Halo; I'll let you look them up, but it was fantastic to get to experiment in this space with them.

What's next? This was a great opportunity for us to work with Alex and his Windows Mixed Reality team; we're inspired and excited to do more which Alex and Bonnie may have hinted at already ;-). Until then, we invite you to genuinely step into the world of Halo with us with "Halo Recruit."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed